Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: Build a kernel driver for SLES11
  • From: Peter Bowen <pzb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2010 13:58:36 +0000
On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 08:42 -0500, Malcolm wrote:
On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 09:03:00 +0200
Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Am Sonntag, 3. Oktober 2010, 23:24:53 schrieb Vittorio Manfredini:
I build a package with a kernel driver for SLES11 on obs, but the
problem is that I did not discover how to add the update
repository for SLES11.

So the package that I build for SLES11 it's quiet unusable,
because it's for a kernel release different from the updated kernel.

If that is the case, there was an incompatible update, which would
violate the SLE policy.

Can you prove that this is the case ?

The way I read the OP was that whilst the build service provides the
default kernel (as shipped with SLE), there is no SLE/update
repository, therefore any kernel modules built don't match their
running kernel except during a default install.

If you build a Kernel module package (KMP) in the build service, it
should work for all kernels released during a single SLES service pack.
The version differences in module file locations
(e.g. /lib/modules/2.6.blah-blah) are handled during package
installation. See ftp://sdk.provo.novell.com/ndk/kmpm/ for instructions
for SLES9, SLES10, and SLES11.

Thanks,
Peter