Re: [opensuse-buildservice] obs branching question
  • From: Michael Schroeder <mls@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 11:30:59 +0200
On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 06:45:30PM -0700, Christian Daudt wrote:
I agree that this is useful also, that's why I was hoping it was
configurable :-)

For 'osc' it is configurable: if you set the 'linkcontrol' option
you stay with the current version. If you want to merge you can
do an 'osc pull'.

The buildservice still builds packages with the most current
sources, if you do not want that you have to specify a revision
when doing the branch.

anyway

osc help linkpac -> -c
this seems to be what I was looking for. I had not used linkpac
before, it seems to do serve the same purpose as "osc branch", only
with different options. Is that the case, or are their
behaviours/uses different?

Please do not use linkpac, you really want a branch. (You can
also first do a linkpac and then use 'osc linktobranch' to
convert it to a branch.
(Btw, that '-c' option of linkpac really needs to be renamed.
linkpac and branch should have the same options, and branch
also has a more usable '-c' option.)

linkpac creates an 'old style' link, i.e. a link that works with
patches. A branch has two advantages:

- it doesn't give you that many merge conflicts
- if the link is broken and not recoverable you still have
easy access to the latest version of the sources.

Cheers,
Michael.

--
Michael Schroeder mls@xxxxxxx