Re: [opensuse-buildservice] OBS and the competition
  • From: Robert Xu <robxu9@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 14:44:28 -0400
On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 14:24, Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'd like to look a little bit out of the box and would like your help ;)

What other software is available that can be compared with the openSUSE
Build Service?

I'm aware of Project Builder, Fedora Koji,  Ubuntu Launchpad (Soyuz
extended by groundcontrol).

Mandriva has their own BS (kenobi, i think?) and I know Unity Linux uses their
own custom-made BS. But that's all I know.

Which ones would you compare it with and how do they compare with OBS?

Fedora's koji uses tags; I think they do it so that way only one
package for multiple projects.
(I think OBS imitates this with links)

Uh... Fedora grabs the spec and stuff from their cvs, as well as the
permissions...

I don't know about any other build system.

Which features do you consider unique to OBS?  My top three are:
* Building for multiple distributions
* Automatic rebuilding on dependency change
* Open System – nice integration with IDEs, Forges and tools

thanks for any comments,
Andreas

--
later, Robert Xu