Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Can we please get ARM builds for 11.3+1?
  • From: Peter Czanik <pczanik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 23:14:41 +0200

4. What other problems do you see with creating openSUSE builds for ARM
that I forgot to mention here?

Existence of real hardware.

Find a manufacturer who sells Linux-ready ARM systems that don't
need fiddling.

Well, I have some of these systems on my desk :-)

EFIKA MX is a small machine built around Freescale's iMX515:
http://www.genesi-usa.com/products/efika
I already had the ported part of openSUSE@ARM 11.2 running on it, and
Debian / Ubuntu runs just fine. Most of the kernel support is not yet
mainlined, but should be OK for 12.0.

The Sheeva Plug is a very nice "server" machine based on the Marvell
Kirkwood SoC, and AFAIK almost all kernel support is mainlined now.
Installing Debian Testing works out of the box. See
http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-22-sheevaplug-dev-kit-us.aspx

Not yet on my desk: http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/touchbook/info.htm a
tablet/netbook solution, based on TI OMAP, with many Linux distributions
and Android already ported.

The best supported ARM system now days seems to be the Beagle board (
http://beagleboard.org/ ), but unlike the others, this is rather only
for developers.

So, the hardware and build infrastructure is here, but we also need
developers!

Bye,
CzP