Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Can we please get ARM builds for 11.3+1?
  • From: Martin Mohring <martinmohring@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 19:02:25 +0200
Hi,

I am one of the MeeGo guys you mentioned. Jan-Simon and me did the cross
compile solution for ARM already with openSUSE 11.2.

So it was exactly vice versa: we implemented cross build first for
openSUSE 11.2 and then to MeeGo.

What we need to reenable it is someone needs to bring it back to work on
openSUSE. That means: changing packages.

Jan-Simon had done before 11.2 a lot of work so that ca. 1000 of the
Factory packages build and a base system for ARM boots.

But in the end, it was the amount of work to get a real, working, tested
ARM version why it was never finished.

Martin

Stephan Kleine wrote:
Hi all,

I today asked $topic during the project meeting and it was suggested to
discuss this on this list.

So, question is, can we get ARM builds for 11.3+1 and what is currently
missing to get this done.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but iirc ARM can already get build on OBS
but
it needs cross compilation which seriously slows things down. OTOH the Meego
folks use it happily for their purposes which includes ARM.

So, from the top of my head:

1. am I correct that OBS is already able to build for ARM but it is slow due
to cross compilation being needed?
2. What is possible to speed that up - e.g. how do the Meego folks do this?
3. Weren't it an option to exclude "big" packages (e.g. OpenOffice stack) and
just build those once in a while - e.g. for milestones?
4. What other problems do you see with creating openSUSE builds for ARM that
forgot to mention here?

regards,
Stephan