[opensuse-buildservice] Re: Call for help: work with us on extending our test coverage.
  • From: Malcolm <malcolm_lewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 13:32:03 -0500
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 13:55:36 +0200
Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

The quality of our OBS is more or less defined by our test suite.
A good test suite will lead to a good quality of our services and our
OBS releases.

It can be also used by OBS server admins to validate that their
installation works okay.

Unfortunately the coverage of our test suite is currently way too low
(tools report a 16% coverage), but even worse also quite some critical
components are not tested much better.

We (esp. coolo) worked on the api test suite lately. It should be easy
to setup and run for everybody.

It is also a good way to dig into OBS code to learn how to hack on OBS
later on, implementing your long missed features or eager awaited
bugfixes.

ALso parts of the backend (like the source server) can be tested now
directly via running the api test suite.

A simple howto can be found here:

http://wiki.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Build_Service_Testsuite

It is not really a good how-to yet, but I just don't know how to
write it better. I promise to improve it when ever someone comes with
a question.

I promise also to try to send you some kind of gift (like an opensuse
t-shirt), if you can provide a new test which finds a bug in OBS. All
my lately written tests found bugs, so it should be easy ;)

In case you don't know what kind of test could be written, just run

grep -r FIXME test/

Feel free to ask here (or on #opensuse-buildservice irc channel) for
more help on this.

bye
adrian

Hi
Posted in the openSUSE Forum Build Service sub forum as well.

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.32.12-0.7-default