Re: [opensuse-buildservice] maintenance, osc branch/mbranch
  • From: Marcus Meissner <meissner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 18:10:39 +0200
On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 05:28:27PM +0200, Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:
Hi,

I have to prepare some updates once again and tried to follow the
process which used to be described here:
http://en.opensuse.org/Maintenance
This one points to here now:
http://wiki.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Maintenance

The latter is inconsistent while the first seem to be consistent but not
matching OBS' osc behaviour anymore when it comes to osc branch usage.

osc branch openSUSE:11.2 perl-Bootloader

this will print what you need to check out, either:

home:jreidinger:branches:openSUSE:11.2/perl-Bootloader

or if there already was an update of perl-Bootloader:

home:jreidinger:branches:openSUSE:11.2:Update:Test/perl-Bootloader

So according to this I should get the latest (update) package for my
branch but this isn't the case (anymore?).
I always get the exact GA version of the package branched instead.
The new page http://wiki.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Maintenance/Packager is
telling me to use :Update but then the pasted osc output makes no sense:
"Note: The branch has been created of a different project"

So parts of that description still implies the old behaviour (but
apparently someone found that and added the "Update" string in the
command above?
But also this is apparently broken because if there is no updated
package the branch command fails and doesn't use the base project to
branch from there.

This seems to be a OBS 2.0 bug then, it did fell back from
openSUSE:11.2 to openSUSE:11.2:Update previously...

So now you could say I should fix the documentation but actually I'm not
sure where the issue is. I would say that OBS (or osc?) changed its
behaviour but absolutely unsure if intentionally or not.

Probably an OBS bug.

Ciao, Marcus