Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Proposal for renaming 'build'
  • From: Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 09:43:30 +0200 (CEST)

On Tuesday 2010-06-15 16:48, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Michael Schroeder wrote:
On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 04:22:46PM +0200, Adrian Schröter wrote:
I like this proposal, esp because we could switch to a different version
number
scheme as well then. This is needed, because we have now a stable branch
for the first
time for the OBS 2.0 build service.

osc-build is not a good idea, because the script is used on server and
client side.

So maybe "obs-build" and let it follow the OBS release numbers ?

mls, ro, lnussel, what are your opinions here ?

The "build" package has nothing to do with obs. It's just used by
obs to do the real building. It doesn't even depend on anything
from obs.

A better name would be nice nevertheless. I'm not creative enough to
think of one though :-(

Along comes a nice technique to aid uncreativity:

1. Have every involved person propose substantives
and adjectives related to SUSE, openSUSE, OBS, Building, whatever.

Subjectives and adjectives (S&A) are to be considered separate through the
entire process.

2. Make two tallies (->S&A) with <word, count> tuples, and let
everybody have a valued vote on every entry. ("first choice,
second choice, etc.". Maps to 1 pt, 2 pts, etc.)

3. The entry with the lowest point value is the winner.

Combine the so-obtained winning substantive and the
winning adjective to form the name.

Give it a go.