Re: [opensuse-buildservice] RFC: new repository scheduling options
  • From: Michael E Brown <Michael_E_Brown@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 11:20:39 -0500
On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 08:10:54AM -0500, Adrian Schröter wrote:

Hello,

micha and me thought about how to configure the upcoming new scheduler
modes per repository. We will have new attributes called "rebuild", "block"
and "linkedbuild" optionally per repo. And we would like to hear some feedback
about them.

In addition to that it will be possible to reuse all package sources from
other projects.

Such a project meta xml might look like this:

<project>
<link project="openSUSE:Tools" />
<repository name="openSUSE_11.2" rebuild="local" block="all"
linkedbuild="localdep" >
<path repository="standard" project="openSUSE.org:openSUSE:11.2"/>
<arch>x86_64</arch>
</repository>
</project>

The values of the attributes can be these:

<define ns="" name="rebuild-modes">
<choice>
<value>transitive</value> <!-- DEFAULT: build on source change and all
depending packages including indirect dependencies -->
<value>direct</value> <!-- build on source change and direct
depending packages -->
<value>local</value> <!-- build on source change only -->
</choice>
</define>

This looks like an excellent addition.

<define ns="" name="block-modes">
<choice>
<value>all</value> <!-- DEFAULT: block until all packages we
depend on are built -->
<value>local</value> <!-- like all, but ignore packages from other
repositories -->
<value>never</value> <!-- immediately start building the packages
-->
</choice>
</define>

I'm concerned about the interaction between this option and the previous
option. Looks like we have a matrix of 9 combinations, and I'm not sure they
all interact so well.

<define ns="" name="linkedbuild-modes">
<choice>
<value>off</value> <!-- DEFAULT: do not build packages from
project links -->
<value>localdep</value> <!-- only build project linked packages if
they depend on a local package -->
<value>all</value> <!-- treat packages from project links like
local packages -->
</choice>
</define>

At first I did not understand this, but on IRC you pointed me to
https://features.opensuse.org/307915 and I have a better grasp now. This also,
I believe, adds complexity when combined with the above.

A better name would eliminate confusion. My proposal is
"projectlink-build-modes", but you indicated on IRC that wasnt good. In any
case, this name needs adjustment to eliminate confusion between package _links
and project links.

--
Michael