Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Ubuntu universe
  • From: Pau Garcia i Quiles <pgquiles@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 21:55:12 +0200
On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 9:34 PM, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

FWIW, this is a summary of what Debian and Ubuntu found on ffmpeg:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MainInclusionFFmpeg

And they did not find MPEG-4, huh? And the Quicktime, RealNetworks stuff?
(Ok, no need to list them all, but the document does not even mention
that there may be others.)
I side with Adrian..

If you read the page, you'll notice it talks about *enforced* patents
against FLOSS. You may have patents but not enforce them. In this
crazy world of patently absurd patents you need to have defensive
patents. Heck, even Red Hat has a large patent portfolio.

There is more information about the issues (and of course MPEG-4, etc
are considered) in the READMEs the above webpage mentions:

http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-multimedia/ffmpeg.git;a=blob_plain;f=debian/README.Debian
http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-multimedia/ffmpeg.git;a=blob_plain;f=debian/README.Source

But we are diverging from my original request: have 'universe' in OBS.
It's clear Debian and Ubuntu take great care to not violate the law.

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org