Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Ubuntu universe
  • From: Pau Garcia i Quiles <pgquiles@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:31:16 +0200
On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Am Samstag, 24. April 2010 11:24:28 schrieb Pau Garcia i Quiles:
Hello,

Why is the 'universe' repository for Ubuntu not available in OBS?

bascially for time and legal reasons. It contains packages which are
considered to be at least problematic by Novell legal and I don't
have time to review them.

No, you are wrong.

Packages with may pose legal trouble are in *multiverse* not in universe.

The only reason Ubuntu splits Debian's 'main' in 'main' and 'universe'
is Canonical supports packages in Ubuntu 'main' but does not support
packages in Ubuntu 'universe'. That's all. From a legal point of view,
both 'main' and 'universe' are 100% clean.

Let's see if this table clarifies the misconceptions with Ubuntu repositories:

Repository | Legally clean? | FLOSS? | Frozen? | Supported?
main | yes | yes | yes | yes
restricted | yes | no | yes | yes
universe | yes | yes | yes | no
multiverse | might not | might not | no | no
main-backports | yes | yes | no | no
universe-backports | yes | yes | no | no
multiverse-backports | might not | might not | no | no
main-security | yes | yes | no | yes
universe-security | yes | yes | no | no
multiverse-security | might not | might not | no | no
main-proposed | yes | yes | no | yes[1]

[1] If ever promoted to 'main'

Supported=no means "best effort support"

(if you are not using a fixed-width font, the table will be a bit messy)

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org