Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Ubuntu universe
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:06:00 +0200
Am Samstag, 24. April 2010 11:24:28 schrieb Pau Garcia i Quiles:
Hello,

Why is the 'universe' repository for Ubuntu not available in OBS?

bascially for time and legal reasons. It contains packages which are
considered to be at least problematic by Novell legal and I don't
have time to review them.

It seems that at the beginning you (OBS
developers/maintainers/sysadmins) thought 'universe' was a moving
target but Vincent Untz quickly corrected that misunderstanding.

That might be true in addition.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.suse.opensuse.buildservice/7749/focus=7751

Many essential packages are in universe, which makes very difficult to
build Ubuntu packages in OBS. Examples of widely used libraries which
are only available in Universe: Boost, Apache Portable Runtime (APR),
FastCGI, libpng until Ubuntu 9.04, Rails, etc

Having to build every 'universe' package I need is a nightmare.
Please, add 'universe' to OBS.

SUSE Linux Products GmbH