[opensuse-buildservice] Re: Would it be possible to build openpkg rpms with OBS
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 12:58:51 +0200
Am Dienstag, 13. April 2010 10:50:52 schrieb Richard Bos:
Hello Adrian,

the developers of the groupware project Kolab (http://kolab.org)
are about to start using a different way of building packages.
I proposed the OBS, but there is a problem to start using it at
the moment (I think). The the Kolab project itself uses openpkg
(http://openpkg.org/) to distribute the code. The advantage of
openpkg is that the rpms are build on the target system, which
could be a solaris, any linux, BSD system, etc. It does this by
building a kind of complete distribution the host system, so an
openpkg system provides it own glib, libpng, c compiler, php rpm
packages which are for kolab most often stored in /kolab.

Yes, this is more a replacement for OBS then an extension ...
Installation of an entire system on another one is actually exactly
what we want to avoid with OBS and get always native package builds
for the base system.

Would it be possible to build openpkg rpms with OBS? I would think
that an image should exist that contains the openpkg environment,
and that a build target "openpkg_3.0 (i586|x86_64)" would exist.
If something like this would be possible, I would think that it
is to be used in a private build service. I can not imagine
that you would maintain the openpkg image, or would you ;) ?

I personally would not mind to host another base distro.

But where would I get binary rpms from ? There are only official src.rpm
releases, right ?

A spec file for openpkg does not look the same as for other
distributions. An example of such a spec file can be seen at:
http://kolab.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs-kolab.cgi/server/kolab-webadmin/kolab-webadmin/kolab-webadmin.spec.in?rev=1.21&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
http://kolab.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs-kolab.cgi/server/kolabd/kolabd/kolabd.spec.in?rev=1.48&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

hm, the @PACKAGE@ and @VERSION@ worries a bit, it would lead to some side
effects, but package building should be possible anyway.

Or would these fields get replaced before ?

For the email that announces a different package build approach
can be seen on this link:
(What about starting to use project-builder for native packages?
(was: Re: Next Suse Kolab version?))
http://kolab.org/pipermail/kolab-users/2010-April/011289.html

Looking forward to your reply (if you like to reply to the OBS
list, rather than private that is fine with me. I'm subscribed
to the BS emaillist.

bye
adrian

SUSE Linux Products GmbH