Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Developement and Production
  • From: Thomas Schmidt <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 03:14:50 +0200
On 04/09/2010 02:59 AM, Andrew Heagle wrote:
On Thursday 08 April 2010 20:44:12 Thomas Schmidt wrote:
On 04/08/2010 09:29 PM, Andrew Heagle wrote:
Hi,

I just recently got the build service working in our environment. I had
configured it to use a "production" environment.

Now that we have started to use it, it became clear that we would need a
"development" environment as well.

I tried following the same steps for "development" as I did for
"production", on the same host, but it doesn't seem to quite work. When I
go to development, I see all the production stuff. I am guessing that is
because the file paths are the same.

So, my question is, is it recommended to have a different server for
production and development, or can they reside on the same server? If
they can reside on the same server, how do you configure this?

The concept of environments is from rails, see an article here:
http://glu.ttono.us/articles/2006/05/22/guide-environments-in-rails-1-1

So you can configure a second api and webclient instance on the same host
running on different ports. For the backend you would have to setup a
second instance that uses different paths and ports. I would recommend to
use a seperate system for your development environment.

Ok, thanks. That is kid of what I figured.

Also, when you have an environment for development and production, how do
you promote from dev to prod? Would someone just checkout the project
from dev, and then check it into prod? or is there some other way to
promote it?

Not sure what you want to achieve. Do you want to develop the obs code or
to build packages on the development instance and then move them to your
production env?

Yes, sorry. The second one. Build packages in development and then move them
to production. So, if I had 2 servers, one for dev and one for prod, to move
package from dev to prod, one would have to checkout/download the
project/package from the dev instance and then checkin/upload it to the one
in
the production instance? Or are there some options in osc where you can do
this in one shot?

The easiest way to do this is having different projects in your production
system
like Christian described.
For example we have the openSUSE:Tools:Unstable project where we build snapshot
packages from our code in development, and the openSUSE:Tools project where the
final releases are build.

Greetings

--
Thomas Schmidt (tom [at] opensuse.org)