Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Developement and Production
  • From: Andrew Heagle <andrew@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 20:53:21 -0400
On Thursday 08 April 2010 17:28:26 you wrote:
Hi Andrew,

what do you want to achieve ?
1) do you want to contribute to obs itself ?

No, I want to use the build service for our in-house software. I want to get
away from having to compile all the software we use on each box all the time,
and move towards using RPMs, so, we only have to compile it once!

2) or do you want to have "different" versions of a package
a) one for production
b) one for development

Yes, scenario 2.

for 2) you can have:
Project: MySoftPrj which has "stable packages"
Then you create e.g. a sub project "MySoftPrj:dev" and all packages
MySoftPrj:dev are links or branches to MySoftPrj

I was thinking that the development OBS instance would have newer versions of
the software that development and QA would use (probably staging), and once
testing is done, then move the updated spec file and build to the production
OBS instance for production to get updated.

I just tried out some things with sub-project, and this just might work!
thanks. The reason I was asking was because I noticed different environments,
(eg, /srv/www/api/config/environments/) and the database.yml file has a
production and a development stanza, so I thought the way to go was to have
different instances setup. This is what I was having issues with. Anyway, I
guess its probably a good idea then to make a sub-project for each stage; dev,
QA, staging and production?

This is what you meant by branches? Or is there some other way to do all this
in OBS?

Andrew

Kind Regards
Chris

Andrew Heagle schrieb:
Hi,

I just recently got the build service working in our environment. I had
configured it to use a "production" environment.

Now that we have started to use it, it became clear that we would need a
"development" environment as well.

I tried following the same steps for "development" as I did for
"production", on the same host, but it doesn't seem to quite work. When I
go to development, I see all the production stuff. I am guessing that is
because the file paths are the same.

So, my question is, is it recommended to have a different server for
production and development, or can they reside on the same server? If
they can reside on the same server, how do you configure this?

Also, when you have an environment for development and production, how do
you promote from dev to prod? Would someone just checkout the project
from dev, and then check it into prod? or is there some other way to
promote it?

Thanks,
Andrew