Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Why do I keep getting "spec file conflicts?
  • From: Tejas Guruswamy <masterpatricko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 19:53:25 +0000
On 22/02/10 16:53, Dave Plater wrote:
Hi, I keep on getting spec file conflicts when I work on my branch
project and in this case the main contrib project. This is getting very
frustrating as it is happening ATM while I'm trying to get to the bottom
of a difficult gcc45 build problem. It seems that I am unable to alter
the branch project online, in this case load the development tarball
directly into the branch project. As I've explained previously, I have
limited internet cap.
Can somebody please explain what a "spec file conflict" is and what it
is supposed to achieve because all it achieves with me is frustration.
The last time I asked for help nobody seemed to be able to.
Maybe somebody wishes to take over lilypond because with no help from
upstream and this list, it takes up too much of my time.
Regards
Dave P

As I understand it (with the proviso that IANA Build Service developer)

When you make a branch of a project, the server actually keeps the diff
between the two projects rather than keeping two copies of the source.
So on the server in the original project there is a full copy of the source
and on the server in the branch there is a link file and a diff of all
the changes that have been made relative to the original.
Not sure how the new vs old types of branches fit in but anyway.

What this means is if the original project sources change, the diff
might no longer apply cleanly - there might be a conflict. In this case,
the original project's spec file changed so your branch diff no longer
works. The build service then complains "file conflict" and the branch
package fails to build.

Looking at your project (I assume its this one:
home:plater:branches:openSUSE:Factory:Contrib) it looks like you were
able to resolve the conflict. IIRC the way to do this is to use "osc
pull"; do fix the conflicts in {file}; "osc resolved {file}" until no
more conflicts are left; then "osc ci -m"Fixed conflicts".

What I find odd is why you should be having so much problem with these
conflicts. Is someone else besides you working on the package? If its
only you, remember to only alter the branch project. If you make
different changes in each then obviously you'll get conflicts. And to
move over your changes from the branch to the original, if you move the
modified files from the branch to the original - that will cause a
conflict, because the branch diff still exists except now the original
changed. Basically, after doing an "osc copypac" or a "osc sr" to get a
full server-side copy of all the changes from branch to original, delete
and remake the branch to rebase it on the new source.

Regards,
Tejas