Re: [opensuse-buildservice] [RFC] Changed osc ls behavior in project/package dir
  • From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 11:33:58 +0100
Michal Vyskocil wrote:
There is one problem prevents me to push this commit - with this patch is
impossible to list a content of an another project/package inside this
directory.

We could introduce 'osc rls'

The root of the problem comes from a current command syntax, which
I considered weird - let see how it looks

osc ls [PROJECT [PACKAGE [FILE]]]]
osc ls -b [PROJECT [PACKAGE [REPOSITORY [ARCH]]]]

The first thing I don't understand is a FILE argument - don't see a reason
why
it's necessary. The test of existence of a file in repository is
straightforward

No idea either.

The second problem is with REPOSITORY and ARCH arguments in binary listing -
it produces a some of mess in code, because it's duplicated by -r/-a options.

I've added those arguments as the -r and -a options are just annoying and don't
work with c&p. They are left for backwards compatibility.

And those two positional but optional arguments produces an ambiguity while
parsing a command line - what's the expected result of

user@host:package> osc ls ARG1

user expects the osc ls PROJECT or osc ls FILE?

user@host:package> osc ls -b ARG1 ARG2

In this case what user wants? osc ls -b PROJECT PACKAGE, or osc ls -b
REPOSITORY ARCH?

That kind of ambiguity hits osc all over the place which is both a
bug and a feature IMHO. Ambiguity sometimes allows osc to do
something smart (or stupid ;-).
J├╝rgen once suggested to use '.' when referring to the current
project/package.

My proposal and solution is to use the second option, which disallows the
listing of an another project/package inside project/package dir, but it
should be more convenient.

I'd agree and for explicitly referring to another project one could
use 'rls'.

cu
Ludwig

--