Re: [opensuse-buildservice] /dev/pts/* being chowned outside chroots
On Thu, 2010-02-18 at 05:56 -0600, David Greaves wrote:
Luke Imhoff wrote:
Has anyone else seen this issue where the /dev/pts/* pseudo-terminals
outside the build chroots are having their permissions changed?
Yes

When it happens, users can't run commands anymore because the
permissions on their terminals change from user:tty to 399:399, which is
the default UID:GID pair for abuild:abuild in the chroots.
not noticed that but...

After (/dev/pts):

crw--w---- 1 399 399 136, 13 Jan 18 15:06 13

crw------- 1 david tty 136, 25 2010-02-18 11:06 /dev/pts/25
crw------- 1 399 399 136, 3 2010-02-17 23:28 /dev/pts/3

David

I've already determined that due to the nature of devpts being a
pseudo-filesystem, /dev/pts is the same inside and outside the chroot.
(It works like a bind mount.) The problem is that somehow the chroot
isn't leaving the pre-existing /dev/pts/* entries alone and instead
chowning them. It would be fine if it just created new /dev/pts
entries.

What you're seeing is fine, assuming that /dev/pts/25 doesn't get
chowned to 399:399 all of a sudden when you're still using it. This in
use chowning is what is affecting my users. The problem is I couldn't
figure out how to determine which user or script is doing the chown
since inotify doesn't include an actor field to determine who did the
change.