Re: [opensuse-buildservice] How do I join the build service irc channel
  • From: Dave Plater <dplater@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 13:57:44 +0200
On 02/18/2010 12:50 PM, Adrian Schröter wrote:
Am Donnerstag, 18. Februar 2010 11:29:46 schrieb Dave Plater:

On 02/17/2010 01:14 PM, Adrian Schröter wrote:

Am Mittwoch, 17. Februar 2010 11:31:50 schrieb Dave Plater:

Hi, I'm busy trouble shooting a build problem liypond has started having
with building in the openSUSE:Factory:Contrib standard repos and my
home:plater:branches:openSUSE:Factory:Contrib lilypond package is locked
in "broken: conflict in file lilypond.spec". The build problem is caused
by ImageMagick
<https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=ImageMagick&project=home%3Aplater>
but lilypond build successfully with ImageMagick
<https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=ImageMagick&project=home%3Aplater>
linked into the branch project. I don't like to leave lilypond in this
state and I need the branch project to fix it.
I should imagine the irc is the best way to get this problem fixed but
I've lost all my old irc data somewhere along the way and can't seem to
connect.

There is a link on build.opensuse.org

irc://irc.opensuse.org/opensuse-buildservice

basically freenode network and #opensuse-buildservice channel.

However, this is for OBS development, packaging issues might better
discussed on

#opensuse-packaging

Thanks
Dave P

This wasn't a packaging issue, it was about "broken: conflict in file
lilypond.spec" which I still isn't fixed but meanwhile I've resolved the
packaging issue privately with the maintainer of the package that caused
the problem, factory had broken his package. I still get problems with
checking in from working copies, I had one this morning trying to
checkin a spec file to multimedia:apps rosegarden4 after I had submitted
and accepted from my home project (not a branch but a stand alone
package with no links). I've posted a few other problems on this list
and have been ignored so I thought irc might be the better way to go.
I'm a community member maintaining a couple of packages for free and I
have a limited amount of time, in fact I should be out earning bread at
this moment but instead I'm writing this email. I can get by by working
around broken thing in build service but sometimes this involves
deleting a package and recreating it, this uses bandwidth which costs
money so I'm actually paying for the privilege of maintaining popular
packages that may have been dropped from the distro.
Should I ignore the problems I get and simply work around them or what
should I do?

well, if there are conflicts they need to get solved manually in some way.
If a merge works without conflicts it just is done by the server.

Since we use "branches" meanwhile by default, you can solve these conflicts
usually
with "osc pull; fix stuff; osc resolved $file" .

But without a croncrete problem we can hardly help here.

bye
adrian

The conflict is resolved by deleting and recreating the package using
osc branch unfortunately, I will try and report it again the next time I
get a spec file conflict, I'm sure that I shouldn't have to delete the
package and recreate. osc pull still gives the same output, I was using
it successfully on another package when the main package was being
worked on by the co maintainer.
osc pull in the lilypond case gives "osc pull only works on expanded
links." osc resolved $file is suggested by osc when the spec file
changes in the remote package and I try to checkin another spec file
version, I usually check the remote file and do a diff of the package
and open the local copy specfile, incorporate any remote changes that
are needed then with the spec file still open, perform "osc resolved
$file", update the package osc up, save the open specfile to overwrite
the one that osc produced and check in the working copy. I do this
because otherwise I end up with a spec file corrupted with the mycopy
etc annotations.
I can only leave a problem in it's problematic state until I need to use
that project package again, I don't like to leave my packages in an
uncertain state for too long.
How should I report the next "Strange build service behaviour" problem,
on this list, which I'm comfortable with or do I have to get my irc
setup which is time consuming because both of my irc clients aren't
giving me any joy so I will have to find one that works for me.
While we are on the subject, here's a message I posted to this list @
UTC 12:55 15 Feb which is still unanswered Subject : Osc checkin problem
Contents :

Hi, when I try to checkin to multimedia:apps rosegarden4 from my working
copy, I have a problem.
First of all it wants to delete two files which are the same on bs and
my working copy then if I attempt osc ci I get the error :-
osc ci

Log message unchanged or not specified
a)bort, c)ontinue, e)dit: c
Deleting rosegarden-10.02-plugin-lib64path.patch
Deleting rosegarden4rpmlintrc
Transmitting file data
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/osc", line 21, in <module>
r = babysitter.run(osccli)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/osc/babysitter.py", line 46, in run
return prg.main()
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/osc/cmdln.py", line 308, in main
return self.cmd(args)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/osc/cmdln.py", line 331, in cmd
retval = self.onecmd(argv)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/osc/cmdln.py", line 447, in onecmd
return self._dispatch_cmd(handler, argv)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/osc/cmdln.py", line 1177, in
_dispatch_cmd
return handler(argv[0], opts, *args)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/osc/commandline.py", line 2311,
in do_commit
Project(prj).commit(tuple(packages), msg, files)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/osc/core.py", line 574, in commit
p.commit(msg)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/osc/core.py", line 855, in commit
self.to_be_deleted.remove(filename)
ValueError: list.remove(x): x not in list

How do I fix this?
Thanks
Dave P

Maybe my style of writing has a problem, if so please enlighten me. I'm
sure this is a build service problem, the packaging list is very helpful
with packaging problems, even helping with things that would be more
suited to the programming list. I understand what busy is and sometimes
I'm guilty of impatience but I also understand ignore. I had the same
problem with multimedia:apps rosegarden4 this morning and being in a
hurry AFAIR I used osc delete on the above mentioned two files, copied
them over from a different rosegarden working copy and then used osc ar
which allowed me to check them in again. Why osc wanted to delete the
files I don't know but I'm sure that it's not expected behaviour.
Regards
Dave P