Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Evaluation of the OpenSUSE building service
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 14:03:39 +0100
Am Mittwoch, 17. Februar 2010 13:54:16 schrieb Marios Chatziangelou:
Dear all,

Currently we are investigating/evaluating a couple of building services
(including the OpenSUSE building service) in order to select one that it
is cover the needs for a institutional-level (and maybe more) package
repository for scientific/academic purposes.

The chosen service **will not** initially be used as a building service,
but only to upload pre-packaged rpms and debs. After an evaluation
period and based on our scientific community needs/requests we will
decide if we will use this service as a package building medium or not.

In this scope i would like to make some initial/high-level questions:
1. Can the OpenSUSE building service be used to upload pre-packaged
rpms/debs?

An admin user can upload it directly to the backend.

2. Can the OpenSUSE building service be used also as a system for
maintaining/managing a package repository?

Dunno what you want to do here.

But usually it is designed to allow this only via source uploads. Because
an uploaded binary package has zero value for a package or release manager,
because they need the source.

The value of OBS is that you can rebuild your packages reproducable and you
find always the sources of binary packages. if you don't want that the OBS might
be overkill for you.

3. Does the OpenSUSE building service authentication system supports
x.509 digital certificates?

I don't think so. But what do you want them use for ?
For package signing ? Is rpm supporting this at all ?

Plus,
4. If we finally use your service as a building system: Does the service
cooperates with subversion for source code?

currently you need to package and upload it manually.
But there is already infrastructure for server side source download. Just
a subversion plugin is missing so far (there is an open fate request for this
#309023)

bye
adrian

SUSE Linux Products GmbH