Re: [opensuse-buildservice] building cross distribution packages
  • From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas <pedro.lopez.cabanillas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 10:13:02 +0100
On Monday, January 4, 2010, Lubos Lunak wrote:
My home:llunak:kde repository does not build against the distribution
build repositories themselves, but uses home:llunak:distro:<distro> as the
build repository, and that sets up some things that unify usage of the
.spec file.

If you check out home:llunak:distro/setup and run setup_client_repo from
there, it will set those build repositories up for the given repository.
[...]
I've tried to follow the directions in this document:
http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Development/Tasks/Packaging/Policies/Kde4
But something is wrong, and I am unable to see what and where.

I don't know if the KDE4 packaging policies are compatible across
distributions. I tried to keep it as similar as possible, but ultimately
home:llunak:distro* sets it up the openSUSE way. It does not build

PS: I guess it's time to document this better. In case you'd be willing to
test and help with it, just say so ;).

Thank you very much for your answer. I'm using the OBS web interface, not the
osc CLI. Are your project's prjconf settings available somewhere in the web
interface? Is there some way to use the web interface to setup and build
cross distribution packages other than Ubuntu/Debian packages? (I had no
problems whatsoever building Ubuntu packages, and I don't understand why
Fedora and Mandriva RPMs need to be so different.)

It may be comfortable a single .spec file for all distros, but this
universal .spec file is not going to work later when used inside another RPM
build environment, for instance in Mandriva's Cooker. I would prefer to use
three different .spec files for openSUSE, Fedora and Mandriva instead of
scattering many conditional rules: %if 0%{?suse_version}, %if
0%{?fedora}, %if 0%{?mdkversion} ...

I would like to help testing and documenting cross distribution build
procedures, but for me the web interface is the killer feature of OBS.

Regards,
Pedro