Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Restricting a build to certain workers
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 23:05:29 +0100
From: Adrian Schröter [mailto:adrian@xxxxxxx]

Am Mittwoch, 11. November 2009 22:09:30 schrieb Luke Imhoff:
The official OBS doesn't even support SLES 9 because it can't run Xen,
but it worked fine to build SLES 9, 10, and 11 in a chroot, which is
what we needed up until this point.

You should be also fine with using eg using the SLES 11 xen and run SLES
9 builds inside. package building may brake on too old kernels, but it
should (famous last words) never do on too new.

Problems:
-- it takes time and downtime to get things upgraded

Yes, you might want to have a look in the "obs-worker-image" in our
openSUSE:Tools project.

We use it to build a worker image and we deploy it on all systems via PXE
boot.

That means I can exchange or upgrade images really in a horrible easy way. And
it is quite a nice thing, that the OBS builds itself and use itself ;)

There is some documentation lacking on how to setup it exactly, but I can
briefly describe it if you are interessted in this way.

(This hopefully develops in a delivarable 100% appliance solution in future).

-- If you are using scavenged infrastructure, you may not be able to
upgrade (ie. running workers on machines purposed for other things to soak
up unused cycles.)

Hm, when you do chroot builds, it might make sense to build a simple appliance
which can run in xen/kvm/... on that system ..

--
Michael

SUSE Linux Products GmbH