Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Local build of package
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 23:07:54 +0100
Am Montag, 9. November 2009 22:48:57 schrieb Juergen Weigert:
On Nov 09, 09 22:24:27 +0100, Adrian Schröter wrote:
I see a package in the build service,
want to check out a copy, fix a bug, compile, test, ...
and afterwards I want to send a patch, check in or submit.

We don't have THAT, afaik.

osc branch & osc sr ?
yes, you need an account for that and we want this if you contribute.

That creates the branch on the server before working on it, and unless I
prevent it manually, the server wastes cpu cycles trying to build half
baken packages in my branched project.

... you mix different things. No one forces you to submit half backen things.
But it would be even better if you don't use our resources at all, if you want
an offline build.

if you just want to build offline, just use the offline tool. Where
is the advantage to use the online tool to do the same job as the
offline tool ?

What offline tool do you have in mind?

build

Works for 'I see a package on my DVD' or on SUSE NFS server, but not
for 'I see a package in the build service'. Not a useful community tool.

either offline or community. The redhat tool is also offline only.
If you don't want to use OBS, you can still submit via mail or bugzilla.
But if you submit via OBS, the receiver shall see the build results before
accepting.

Seriously, you all would cry if suddenly the speed of api.o.o would
decrease a lot and plenty of timeout errors do appear on all kind of osc
operations. And that for no good reason at all.

This is true, but I don't see the connection.
Why would building at client side decrease server speed?
api.o.o does not even know that my package exists.

because package download for the chroot may happen via api and creating the
buildinfo can be quite expensive job (a lot IO on main server).

bye
adrian

SUSE Linux Products GmbH