Re: [opensuse-buildservice] project naming
  • From: houghi <houghi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 13:56:20 +0100
On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 07:19:56PM +0200, Pavol Rusnak wrote:
On 10/24/2009 05:54 PM, Christian wrote:
in spec file is a "Group: " required.
Why aren't Project Names not identical to Group Names ?

e.g. postfix

Project: server:mail
Group: Productivity/Networking/Email/Servers

Groups in spec files are something we really want to get rid off.

Why? I thought it was one of the most intesresting features to be used in
YaST. I think it is very good that you can now (again) easily go to the
RPM groups and go dwn the tree and see other programs that do something
similar.

Especially for new users this is a fun and easy way to learn about
programs. Say if I want to see what kind of games there are and I am
interested in a breakout game, I just go:
Amusement, Games, Action, Breakout and install what is there.

As a new user I also see 3D and take a look there. Then my interest is
there and I will see much, much more.

When I look at the patterns, they are very easy if you want to install
groups of software, but they are not ideal for browsing. Searching is good
when you know what you are looking for. The browsing is iseal to learn
things.

So unless there is a good alternative, I would like to keep it. And most
likely the alternative will be not that much different.

And
projects in OBS do not necessarily reflect the groups of packages.

And there lies a problem. Perhaps it could be something like this:
Group: Productivity/Networking/Email/Servers
Project: Productivity:Networking:Email:Servers

I realy do like the depth that Groups go. Obviously there can be
discussions about some choices, but in general I believe they are pretty
good.

houghi