Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: AdrianS , Could you please, set the ppc filter for MonoOSC in openSUSE:Factory:Contrib?
  • From: Petit Eric <surfzoid@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 17:05:19 +0200
2009/9/30 Michal Marek <mmarek@xxxxxxx>:
Michal Marek napsal(a):
Michal Vyskocil napsal(a):
On Wednesday 30 of September 2009 12:39:15 Michal Marek wrote:
Petit Eric napsal(a):
I forget to ask about RpmSpecManager and SyntaxHighlighting too :-)
which are MonoOSC dependency's
Is there a reason why the packages aren't noarch?

Michal

Yes, the reason is the AOT - Ahead Of Time - compile. Explanation from Mono
Packaging Guidelines [1]

"""
The main reason for this is that mono can ahead-of-time compile its
assemblies
into ELF shared objects. These AOTs have to exist in the same directory as
their DLL/EXE counterparts otherwise mono cannot use them. Even if we, as
packagers, choose not to create the AOT files when we build the mono rpms,
the
system administrator can choose to create them after install. Since there's
no
way to place the mono assemblies into an arch independent directory and the
AOTs into arch dependent directories, the whole thing has to go into an arch
dependent tree.
"""

We have noarch mono packages in Factory. Are these broken then?

BTW, if we install mono assemblies into /usr/lib on all platforms and
mark the packages noarch, I don't see how that breaks the above
use-case. /usr/lib cannot be nfs-shared anyway, so there is no problem
if an admin puts aot-compiled native files there. IMO the policy should
be changed, there is no win in duplicating the files in /usr/lib and
/usr/lib64.
yes duplicate isn't a good solution, but Mono like MS .Net work around
GAC, see gacutil :-)

Michal

Cordially.

Small Eric Quotations of the days: