Re: [opensuse-buildservice] when using an "external" repo (api.opensuse.org/public).. jobs frequently hang
  • From: Luke Imhoff <luke@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 08:43:13 -0500
I've found that it's best to avoid any peering (what doing the openSUSE.org: thing is referred to generically) as the timeouts are horrible in contacting another instance of OBS. Or in your case you're stuck waiting on the churn form openSUSE.org. You're better off mirroring package locally and maybe syncing every once in awhile. I was peering older distros like SLE_10 and SLES 9, so the syncing wasn't as important.

Jon Nelson wrote:
I have a number of repositories defined in my local OBS instance, only
one of which is an "external" repo"

<repository name="openSUSE-11.1">
<path project="openSUSE.org:openSUSE:11.1:Update" repository="standard"/>
<arch>x86_64</arch>
</repository>

The problem is, even though I have more than one worker running,
absolutely nothing gets done while the obs instance tries to contact
api.opensuse.org/public - which frequently times out with a 504.

During this time I'll have a job listed as "building" for the
openSUSE-11.1 repo and (frequently) the other jobs are listed as
"scheduled" but the box is totally idle. It's not actually building
anything despite the configurating settings which allow more than one
worker process.

Basically, a non-responsive api.opensuse.org gums up the rest of the
builds, even though they don't make use of that repo.

What's going on here? Is there a setting I can twiddle?