Re: [opensuse-buildservice] osc 0.121 candidate
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 16:18:52 +0200
Am Montag, 7. September 2009 15:24:08 schrieb Jon Nelson:
On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 3:22 AM, Adrian Schröter<adrian@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Am Montag, 7. September 2009 10:20:22 schrieb Adrian Schröter:
Am Freitag, 4. September 2009 17:17:47 schrieb Jon Nelson:
I found another issue in 0.122pre.

In one project I have which is a /link/ do another, osc diff -rXX
works fine. However, if I expand (osc up --expand) the project, then
osc diff -rXX seems to give me /way/ more diff than is actually
correct. If I unexpand then osc diff -rXX works fine again.

Hm, yes, but that is a long standing osc issue, independend to this
release.

thinking again about this, what is the usecase at all ?

I mean, don't you just want to see changes, which are already commited,
excluding your local changes ?

Forgive me but I'm having a hard time understanding the question exactly.
However, perhaps by way of stating what I'd like to see I can answer
your question.

osc diff -rXX tries to attempt to diff your local copy against a older
revision from the server. And it fails to do this correctly when this is a
source link.

However, I wonder whenever you want to see an old remote revision compared to
your local modifications. Maybe when you try to revert something.

If you just want to see revision changes of the past commits, you should use
rdiff IMHO.

Part of the problem as I see it is that the behavior is inconsistent
between an expanded and unexpanded situation. This is the part that
bothers me the most - I haven't *changed* the link, but now suddenly
the output of diff looks difference.

Yes, and that is lacking support in the diff command, which does not handle
this correctl.

What makes the most sense to me
is to have diff always show the difference between the working
directory and the fully patched (using the *checked in* changes) data
on the server for /this/ project (not the project this is linking to).
I would think that rdiff or some other command might be more
appropriate to show me how this project differs from the link source,
although in that situation perhaps using an /option/ instead of a
different command entirely would be best to differentiate between
"show me the changes between my working directory and the link source"
and "show me the changes between the checked-in data and the link
source." The latter is really a slightly more specific form of "show
me the changes between any to arbitrary checked-in projects regardless
of their relationship".

Therefore, I guess I see it this way:

- diff should show me the changes between my working directory and
*my* (patched) copy of the project

That is implemented (against the last checked out version)

- it seems reasonable to have diff take an option to show the changes
between this working directory and /any/ arbitrary project, usually
the link source

hm, okay, that would be something new.

- it also seems reasonable to extend rdiff to be able to diff
(server-side) any two arbitrary projects

That is also already supported, no ?

bye
adrian

SUSE Linux Products GmbH