[opensuse-buildservice] Re: Notifications (was: Re: [opensuse-packaging] New packages for factory)
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 10:50:01 +0200
Am Dienstag, 11. August 2009 10:34:58 schrieb Johannes Meixner:
Hello,

On Aug 10 19:54 Peter Poeml wrote (shortened):
But the largest blocker for me is that I don't get any commit diffs at
all. (Not implemented.)

How can I track the work of others, and review it, and how can they
follow on what I do, without? So far, I have to rely on good commit
messages, or dig out the changes in an elaborate manual process.

Any kind of commit diffs is too late because then the other one
had already finished his work and all you can do is to accept
or reject his work but one cannot do collaboration from the
beginning.

One needs an information when someone starts to work on a package
to have real concurrency control and to be able to do collaboration
from the beginning.

One needs transaction semantics when working on packages:
1. Begin of transaction
2. Change it
3. End of transaction

This isn't there by intention. Basically no scm implements it because it
blocks other people and slow downs development. Usually first submitter wins
and followers need to adapt.

I can not imagine any system right now, which solves social problems, in the
end people need always to talk to each other if they work on same code.

A weak synchronization point preferably with a kind of weak locking
before someone starts to change it (so that all others who also
work on it are at least informed) and a strong synchronization point
preferably with a kind of three way merge when changes are committed.

Unfortunately - as far as I know - the build service does currently
not implement concurrency control.

by intention as written above.

As far as I know the current build service does even not implement
real revision control (like e.g. SVN).

it does, check "osc log".

bye
adrian