Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Estimation on waiting time on a package.
  • From: Vincent Petry <PVince81@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 20:00:36 +0800
Hi,

I think it depends how much the estimation is wrong. If it says 10
minutes when it's 6 hours, I think it's not good. But if it says
like 1 hour when it's 2, it might still be ok. At least it can help
someone to decide whether it's worth waiting a few minutes/hours, or
simply give up and check the next day.

The time estimation for one package could be based on heuristics
from its compile time history. For example, if after compliling a
given package a few times we found out that it usually takes say 30
minutes to build successfully, then we can assume that in the future
it will take almost as long, if not longer.

Also like Doiggl said, it would be also good to know how many
packages are in the queue. A value like "5234 packages scheduled to
be built before yours, 1234 currently building" might do it.

Vincent