Re: [opensuse-buildservice] HTML repo view
  • From: Peter Poeml <poeml@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 13:26:41 +0200
Hi Wolfgang,

On Fri, Jul 03, 2009 at 08:18:34 +0200, Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:
where is the HTML report gone which was in every OBS repo's repodata
directory? I found that useful but it's apparently gone.

I found that we should disable the repoview pages for reasons of
manageability of the entire file tree.

They effectively doubled the number of files on the stage server (which
are in the millions) and multiplied the number of directories (which
approached 100.000). We have excluded them from any mirroring since
long, because it would cause too much load by rsyncing them.

While I moved the storage system to a larger system during the last
weeks, this amount of additional files slowed down the move very much.
(Even without them, I needed nearly two weeks.)

The benefit of those files seemed to little, compared to the costs.

They were only marginally useful, because the version number was encoded
in the file names, so it wasn't possible to hyperreference packages in a
stable way (only the whole repository).
Some people have complained that the repoview's index.html file was
placed inside the repodata directory, inconveniently hiding its content.

Usage of the repoview files (judging by Apache access logs) wasn't
intensive. There were rather few accesses. Sometimes people used a link
to them in a prominent place, like in a release announcement of their
software. To keep such links working, I added a redirect at the time.
(It points to the repository base).

Sorry about this change, but it seemed necessary.

Peter

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Research & Development