Re: [opensuse-buildservice] osc umlaut problem
Hi

Dne Fri, 03 Jul 2009 10:09:06 +0200
Susanne Oberhauser <froh@xxxxxxxxxx> napsal(a):

The sys.setdefaultencoding function is disabled after site
initialization on purpose: http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0100/

The purpose isn't clear, though.

I've found somewhere, that this function was supposed to be temporary
until developers decide what should be default encoding. Unfortunately
it was not removed later and is still there what only increases
confusion.

There is thre fixes to this:

1. we enable in syte.py the use of the locale setting

Problem with this is that you will most likely break applications which
do rely on default settings.

2. we work around the IMNSHO braindead disablement of
"setdefaultencoding":

import sys, locale
reload(sys)
sys.setdefaultencoding(locale.getdefaultlocale()[1])

3. We scatter explicit unicode awareness to every place we possibly
handle unicode strings strings.

I *strongly* opt for #1 or #2. #3 is just so plain inelegant, I refuse
to do that. It's like checking return codes after exceptions have been
invented.

4. Wait for python 3.0 :-).

List Navigation
Follow Ups