Re: [opensuse-buildservice] submitreq's are carelessly handled
  • From: Peter Poeml <poeml@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 13:00:01 +0200
Hi Christian,

On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 01:58:29PM +0000, Christian wrote:
obs is amazing, and gives us a great chance to contribute to opensuse.

I agree! That's why I started using it from the very beginning.

I'm using SuSE since 6.4 and I love it, no question.

In the past I had to modify/improve my packages to meet my needs.
Now there is the possibility to get this improvements not only to
opensuse via obs. This is great.

But the way submitreq's are handled is much more poor.
I have several submitreq's with no reaction for weeks or months. This is
really poor.

I think this is mainly caused by a lack of responsibility (nobody feels
he should act) and awareness (nobody knows that he should act).

Due to layoffs by Novell, there are quite some gaps left where whole
projects vegetate without anyone being or feeling responsible.

I think the best approach in cases like this is to enable *you* to do
work yourself, by giving you direct write access to the projects; so you
don't need to wait for non-existing approval (which doesn't make sense).

In other cases, people just don't know that they are expected to deal
with a submit request, they have never done it, don't understand the
whole process yet (and its gross potential neither). There is helps to
remind them and talk to them.

A simple reaction of the package maintainer 'Hi, thanks, will review
your mods' will be enough in first, but no feedback for weeks/months is
not acceptable IMO.

some of my REQ's:

Quite a list!

8029

Ping Lars (lmuelle@xxxxxxxxxx) directly. But expect further delay. He
doesn't always have time to deal with these things.

8894

Ping Peter directly (varkoly@xxxxxxxxxx).

8896

osc maintainer -e server:mail courier-authlib
suse-beta@xxxxxxxxx, hvogel@xxxxxxxxxx, mskibbe@please-enter-an-email-address,
reik.keutterling@xxxxxxxxx, hvogel@xxxxxxxxxx

Ping Christian, Henne, Reik directly. In addition, I am one of the
numerous project maintainers of server:mail and I have no problem to
give you project write access. Done so now.

(Doesn't solve the principal problem of lack of responsibility and
assignment to these tasks, but helps you who has been waiting far too
long.)

(And, even if you have write access, you obviously might want to discuss
changes with the other interested maintainers (where they do exist)
nevertheless. (Stating the obvious here.))

8902

Ping Darix directly. Best in IRC ;-)
(He might not be available this week.)

8933

Ping Jiri directly (jbohac@xxxxxxxxxx)

8958

Ping Henne directly (hvogel@xxxxxxxxxx)

I have also given you write access to the server:proxy project, where
you have been submitting to in the past. It is kind of orphaned; the
previous squid maintainer isn't with Novell any longer, so he won't deal
with submit requests. I, being one of the other maintainers (I was the
first to have a package there and was the one who created the project
myself probably, so I became maintainer), don't have the time to review
squid package submissions, and neither do I feel that I should do that.
Even if I would review a submit request to squid in server:proxy, which
I did in the past once or so, I certainly don't track Factory et al. and
make sure that the changes end up there.

Thanks,
Peter

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Research & Development