Re: [opensuse-buildservice] GSoC '09 proposal - git backend for OBS
  • From: Peter Libic( <peter.libic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 15:44:18 +0200
Michael Schroeder wrote:
On Thu, Apr 09, 2009 at 11:42:06AM +0200, Peter Libi?? wrote:
In the opensuse-packaging ML
(http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-packaging/2009-03/msg00040.html)
Peter Poeml encouraged people to try to hack BuildService so it would
use git as its source server.

Uh huh, good luck with that one. I fear that Peter doesn't really have
an overview over what needs to be done to switch to git.

I don't expect this to be an easy task...

Vivid advantages of the git approach are:
- standard VCS operations like diff, log or commit are offline - this
decreases the server load and one could work without the network
access

That's just delaying the commit until you do a 'git push'. Plus, you

Yes, the commit is just delaying the load - but commands like log or
diff really pass the load to the client.

don't really want to have just one git repository for the build
service - 'git pull' always pulls the complete repository, this
would mean having a local copy of *all* sources.
Having a repository for each project is maybe also not enough
because of projects like "openSUSE:Factory".

In my proposal on GSoC site (not public, now also available from
http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service/Git_Backend) there is following text:

"The goal of the project is not to supersede current link/branch
mechanism. The project will probable create a single git repository for
every package. For example, for project "KDE:KDE4:STABLE:Desktop" and
package "konversation" this could mean repository
git://server/KDE/KDE4/STABLE/Desktop/konversation.git. Repository for
the whole project would also be an option, however there are some
projects that have hundreds or thousands of packages, so this requires
further research if it is plausible."

I'm well aware of problems with the size of projects and that it is not
possible to use single repository.

Peter

Another big problem where I don't know how they could be implemented
with git are source links.

Cheers,
Michael.