Re: [opensuse-buildservice] OBS 1.6 Beta 1 release
  • From: Martin Mohring <martin.mohring@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 19:25:32 +0200
Adrian Schröter wrote:
Hi,

we are working currently on the next feature release of the
openSUSE Build Service. You can find already a first beta 1 version of 1.6
at the usual places.

This new release features mainly the new Cross Build Support implemented by
Martin and Jan-Simon. This allows to build packages for all hardware
architectures, even without the need to own these. The emulation is realized
via qemu.

Let me bring some light in here. Even more details you can find in the
OBS Team Meeting protocols.

Marcus Hüwe wrote the Download on Demand feature which was heavily used
for the development of Cross Development. It is also documented in my
wiki entry, it sure works for normal "non cross build targets" also. And
I used Download on Demand to develop/test Cross Build.

Jan-Simon is working with me on getting the openSUSE @ ARM base system
boostrapping using Cross Development with OBS. That is one step further
already. He also setup the "exotic " Maemo distro to work with Cross
Build. If our GSoC project gets approved, we will work even more heavily
on the openSUSE @ ARM port during summer.

I developed/tested the rest and set up and tested the other ARM targets
documented in http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service/PoweredBy. It took me
lots of qemu fixing to achive this list.

Martin and me are working currently also on getting it working in XEN, so we
will get ARM build support also on build.opensuse.org. Hopefully tomorrow :)

Zonker wrote an announcement about this and new partnerships:

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/2263346/​

Martin Mohring documented this support here:

http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service/Concepts/CrossDevelopment

See comment, Download on Demand docu has not been separated from Cross
Build. But it works great together. Marcus and me made sure it does.
The version 1.6 has also the new "build-compare" support, which allows the
system to drop build results, if the result has not changed compared to
former
build.

The 1.6 Beta 1 package can get downloaded from the openSUSE:Tools project

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=obs-
server&project=openSUSE:Tools

or as tar ball from the for pages:

http://developer.novell.com/wiki/index.php/Special:Downloads/opensuse/1.6