[opensuse-buildservice] Thoughts on OBS as a git bisect build cluster
  • From: Brandon Philips <brandon@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 17:56:20 -0800
Hello-

I want to create a web based tool where users could do git bisections
themselves by plugging in starting hashes (provided by a developer most
likely) and get an RPM out. Then as they test they come back to the
website to report their test results, good or bad, to get the next rpm
to test.

Now, the most intensive part would be doing all of the builds and
checkouts. Something that I think OBS could handle nicely :D

First, is this use of OBS is acceptable?

If so the next challenge is avoiding lengthy and expensive uploads to
the OBS. I have thought up a few strategies for doing such and would
appreciate feedback:

1. Create an OBS project with a base version of the project tarball e.g.
Kernel v2.6.28, then generate a patch with:
$ git diff v2.6.28...<$BISECTHASH>
Then branch this OBS project to create a project that will build the RPM
for the user with this git diff patch applied.

2. Create an OBS project with a tar snapshot of the external git repo
and submit it to an OBS project. Then create an OBS branch from this
project for each git bisection step and submit some control file that
tells the spec file what hash to build.

3. Have a spec file that does a clone from some internal mirror of the
external git tree and does the bisect locally. (Can you get to the
internet when building inside a VM?)

For #1 and #2 I would need a way to submit a patch to a branched project
_without_ doing a full checkout of the tarball again. How would I change
one file in an OBS branch without downloading the whole repo?

What do people think? Any other strategies to create something like this
that uses OBS on the backend?

Cheers,

Brandon