Re: [opensuse-buildservice] OBS: Who uses Download on Demand or Cross Build - small survey
  • From: Martin Mohring <martin.mohring@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 14:04:58 +0100
Peter Czanik wrote:
Hello,

Martin Mohring írta:

adrian.crutchfield@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Yes

I'm actually working to get Base:build packages built for ARM.

What challenges as of yet did you run into?

We have already discussed the performance accelerator, because OBS with
QEMU is quite slow (factor 4-8 slowdown ca. in average).
We have already two solutions for this in the backhand.

Wow! Does this mean, than an ARM port of openSUSE is under way?

Depends on what you mean with under way... In principle yes.
Is there any way to run OBS natively on ARM? With a faster ARM board it
might outperform QEMU.

Yes. no problem. I can package the workers, they run also on arm
natively. But a worker should normally have 512 MB of RAM, to be
appropiate for all packages. gcc i think needs even more (at least to
compile it on x86 target). not sure about packages like OpenOffice.

Martin