Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Colons considered harmful: escaping LD_LIBRARY_PATH in OBS projects
  • From: Brandon Philips <brandon@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 09:16:22 -0800
On 08:25 Wed 07 Jan 2009, Michal Vyskocil wrote:
On Tuesday 06 of January 2009 18:04:30 Brandon Philips wrote:
On 11:10 Tue 06 Jan 2009, Pavol Rusnak wrote:
Brandon Philips wrote:
Ping? I almost forgot about this thread due to the holidays.

Despite the new year: It is still a bug. And we need a solution. :D

I suggested a comma which does not interfere with anything AFAIK.
Creating patch for OSC is a matter of minutes and I can push it anytime.
The only thing we need is to agree on the solution.

I am concerned that using such an exotic seperator will just create
problems in another library, script, or language. Limiting the use of
characters to the most portable subset of POSIX filenames: A–Za–z0–9._-
would be a pragmatic choice.

Well, problem is, that those names are allowed in a name of projects, or
packages. There are projects like home:-miska-, home:a_jaeger,
Java:jpackage-1.7, (or something like Gnome_Community+OpenSUSE_Factory) and
defining any of these character as a new separator will brings a lot of
problems.

What type of problems?

Thanks,

Brandon