Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Colons considered harmful: escaping LD_LIBRARY_PATH in OBS projects
  • From: Michal Vyskocil <mvyskocil@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 09:44:12 +0100
On Thursday 18 of December 2008 13:24:18 Michal Marek wrote:
Instead of taking on the pain of fixing ld and all of the tools and
scripts to generate and understand slash escaped colon characters we
could stop using colon as a separator in build service project names.

Another, rather cheap solution, would be an option in the osc client to
replace the colon with a dash or underscore or something (and let the
user decide what to do when there is a conflict). Because it's really
only in osc checkouts where the colon causes problems.

I'm not sure if is possible to secure replace the : with another character.
Are there some constraints on project name? What in case if user will have a
home:user:foo_project and home:user:foo:project?

I'd like to see a normal sub-directory, but I'm afraid, that is possible to
have foo package in Project and foo suproject of Project too, so this will not
work in some special cases. But OBS uses the term 'sub-project' and having of
sub-project's content stored in sub-directory is logical and consistent (for
me).

The second problem is with commands like osc co, because osc don't know if
users want to use only a current project $PWD/.osc/_project, or all checkouted
projects. But I believe it can be solved by by something like '--recursive'
option.

BTW: but I hate : too, because it breaks the bash-completion, so please remove
it ;-)

Regards
Michal Vyskocil