[opensuse-buildservice] Czech Packagers Team - Contrib repository notes
  • From: Pavol Rusnak <prusnak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 10:16:42 +0100
Hello Community and BuildService folks!

In our Czech Packagers Team we had a discussion about resurrecting Contrib initiative, because it seems that it had stalled. In this mail we present our notes. Any suggestions are welcome!

Contrib repository
==================

* repository with extra packages for each distribution (that didn't fit
into Factory)

* will be branched on each distribution release
(openSUSE:Factory:Contrib -> openSUSE:11.2:Contrib)

* will be maintained after the release (security and major fixes only)

- archive: http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-contrib/
- discussion is stalled now :(

* review rules and processes created, not final yet
- http://en.opensuse.org/Contrib

* move some packages from Factory to Contrib
- possibly hundreds of packages - games, windows managers, tools
- rules for selection
a) all non-SLE packages
b) drop candidates only
- best solution is probably somewhere in between a) and b)
- packages will keep their current Novell maintainers
- Contrib will gain more significance and staffing
- it will be important enough for special handling
in 11.2 installation
- eliminating Novell-only tools and processes completely,
everything will be transparent to the community
- now, after 11.1 is the right time !!!

* move some packages from other repositories to Contrib
- lots of GTK only packages in GNOME:Community
(eg. meld, midori, etc.)
- same for Qt only packages in KDE:Community
(eg. qdevelop, quassel, etc.)
- these packages could be moved to Contrib, so user doesn't have
to add lots of repositories just to install his/hers favorite
tools or applications

* problems:
- security - security issues are watched by the security team now
- some bugs require fast response,
even if the maintainer is not available

- notifications of new package versions for external maintainers
(now it is internal only)

- the actual process of moving packages
- identify packages, internal drop requests,
reviews (maybe do a full review to test the processes), ...

- need a reverse process for Contrib -> Factory -> SLE
- probably just get Novell employee as co-maintainer,
who will perform the push

--
Best Regards / S pozdravom,

Pavol RUSNAK SUSE LINUX, s.r.o