Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Build service is borked - again
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 15:19:45 +0100
On Freitag 28 November 2008 14:32:55 Andrew Beekhof wrote:
On Nov 28, 2008, at 1:43 PM, Adrian Schröter wrote:
On Freitag 28 November 2008 13:27:43 Andrew Beekhof wrote:
All jobs in
https://build.opensuse.org/project/monitor?project=home%3Abeekhof
were in the "finished' state for nearly an hour.

The x86_64 are okay, because the scheduler was reloading to take the
new code
we need. (this takes about two hours with the size of our service).
We do this
for this reason per architecture, so only one is hanging for a while.

The i586 scheduler has processed it meanwhile, I saw that it had
more than
2000 medium events some hours ago (means that it has to recalculate
2000
project repositories due to changed packages). If you can provide a
patch
which makes this faster, I am happy to apply. (small sidenote, a
compiler
which compiles the entire distribution instantly would be also
appricated :).

You're missing the point.
This is not about scheduler reloads taking too long.

They're necessary, we get that... they take a while, we get that
too... just tell us when they (and other maintenance events) are
happening.

You can see this always on the monitor page.

Preferably in advance so we can plan around an expected outage, but
even telling us (via email or a status page update) after the event
helps a great deal because at least we know that what we're seeing is
expected and we should go do something else for the next few hours.

The current information vacuum is causing a lot of frustration.

You may should consider to use "osc build" more often. We have often enough
multiple thousands packages to be build, waiting for them will quite often not
work (and this is independend of any kind of maintenance).