Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Minimal server
  • From: "Jan-Christoph Bornschlegel" <jcborn@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 12:41:39 +0100
Hi John,

Am Donnerstag, 13. November 2008 schrieb John Kelly:
[...]
What I want to do is, build a very small server distro with as few
base packages as possible. However, maybe I also want to tweak some
of the base packages -- I'm not sure yet.

But most of all, I want it to be small. I will add my own local
customization primarily in /usr/local from upstream and homegrown
source tarballs, not rpm packages from the build service.
[...]

How are you planning to create the distro?

There is an example of a very minimal server created with kiwi.
svn list https://forgesvn1.novell.com/svn/opensuse/trunk/distribution/images

Apart from building your custom packages you can even tweak the system when
you create it with kiwi (as a preload for example) and remove files after
packages are installed.

As far as I know, the config ctso-minimal* are something like what you want,
so you may want to look into this.

If you have questions concerning kiwi, you may want to subscribe to
kiwi-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, we'll be glad to help you.

Cheers,
Jan