Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Minimal server
  • From: John Kelly <jak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 18:47:28 +0000
On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 19:20:11 +0100, "Jan-Simon Möller" <dl9pf@xxxxxx>
wrote:

Am Donnerstag 13 November 2008 18:53:59 schrieb John Kelly:
Hi,

I want to build my own minimal server distro. I only use the web
client so far.

In my home project, I individually linked each package in Base:build,
one by one (very tedious!), until I had all 78 packages. After a long
time, they all built.
Yes,its very tedious and unnecessary - DON'T DO THIS!
The tutorial mentions aggregate vs. link, but I could not see how to
link a whole project using the web client.
If you want to use a whole project as base for your own packages, add it as
repository!
Thats how is it done for all projects (openSUSE:11.0, openSUSE:Factory - all
are projects).
Then _your_ project has a repository derived/on top of e.g. Base:build.
So the easy way would be:
* remove all the Base:build packages
* hit "Add Repository" ind your home and on the next page "[Advanced]"
* there you can select Base:Build as repository.
* now add your own packages to your home: - they will be build using the stuff
from Base:Build.

Anyone have suggestions for how to construct a minimal server distro,
with compiler and basic dev tools, tracking factory and/or the latest
stable release?
That's the way for factory (Base:Build).

Please keep in mind: every duplicate package is wasting space and cpu-cycles.
If you just import packages, but have no patch or other changes, use
_aggregate.
If there's no change, why it should get rebuilt ? (Thats what _link would do.)

Overall - what do you want to do exactly ? Please describe - there might be an
even easier way.

OK, thanks for the hint about using Base:build as a repo. I did not
understand that was possible.

What I want to do is, build a very small server distro with as few
base packages as possible. However, maybe I also want to tweak some
of the base packages -- I'm not sure yet.

But most of all, I want it to be small. I will add my own local
customization primarily in /usr/local from upstream and homegrown
source tarballs, not rpm packages from the build service.

I put many things in /usr/local because I make various local source
hacks to integrate billing and other systems, and my hacks are useless
outside any environment except my own.

I could build my own complete distro from upstream source tarballs,
and I've done some experimental work towards that, but since others
have already done much collective work on the suse base distro, why
not benefit from their efforts?

--
Webmail for Dialup Users
http://www.isp2dial.com/freeaccounts.html