Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Minimal server
  • From: "Jan-Simon Möller" <dl9pf@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 19:20:11 +0100
Am Donnerstag 13 November 2008 18:53:59 schrieb John Kelly:
Hi,

I want to build my own minimal server distro. I only use the web
client so far.

In my home project, I individually linked each package in Base:build,
one by one (very tedious!), until I had all 78 packages. After a long
time, they all built.
Yes,its very tedious and unnecessary - DON'T DO THIS!
The tutorial mentions aggregate vs. link, but I could not see how to
link a whole project using the web client.
If you want to use a whole project as base for your own packages, add it as
repository!
Thats how is it done for all projects (openSUSE:11.0, openSUSE:Factory - all
are projects).
Then _your_ project has a repository derived/on top of e.g. Base:build.
So the easy way would be:
* remove all the Base:build packages
* hit "Add Repository" ind your home and on the next page "[Advanced]"
* there you can select Base:Build as repository.
* now add your own packages to your home: - they will be build using the stuff
from Base:Build.

Anyone have suggestions for how to construct a minimal server distro,
with compiler and basic dev tools, tracking factory and/or the latest
stable release?
That's the way for factory (Base:Build).

Please keep in mind: every duplicate package is wasting space and cpu-cycles.
If you just import packages, but have no patch or other changes, use _aggregate.
If there's no change, why it should get rebuilt ? (Thats what _link would do.)

Overall - what do you want to do exactly ? Please describe - there might be an
even easier way.

Feel free to ask here or on irc.freenode.net channel #opensuse-buildservice .

Best regards,
Jan-Simon