[opensuse-buildservice] newbie package builder
  • From: "David Strozzi" <david.strozzi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 11:21:04 -0700
Hi,

I am trying to build a package for Yorick, a scientific interpreted
language, for opensuse. I am new to this. I started by reading the
build service tutorial: http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service. From
there, it seems like a good idea to build the package locally first,
using the 'build' tool. Thus I went to:
http://en.opensuse.org/SUSE_Build_Tutorial. However, it seems this
tutorial is rather vague, and does not consist of actual steps with
specific instructions of what to type in / do. It gets really bad in
2.2: configure build. It even tells one to do "and things like that."

So I'm confused. Is there a better guide available? If so, it should
be mentioned on the build tutorial page. If this tutorial is simply
still a work in progress, I'm happy to try improving it.

Perhaps I misunderstand the workflow. Am I supposed to configure the
build environment at the command prompt, or is this done automatically
by commands inside the rpm .spec file?

Either way, more explicit instructions would be good for slow people
like myself :)

Cheers,
David Strozzi