[opensuse-buildservice] Requesting to create a top level project "Contrib"
  • From: "Alexey Eremenko" <al4321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 04:33:05 +0200
Hi,

(cross-posting to OBS & Factory)

We would like to create a top-level project for third-party packages
for openSUSE, named: "Contrib".

Our goals is to setup some kind of universal repository for
third-party packages.

This repository should be viewed as a community-driven extension of
Factory, with all standards and limitations applied.

Current model of third-party packages for openSUSE is broken in many
user's opinion. There are lots of packages across hundreds of Build
Service projects, which is hard to download & navigate. Packages are
often duplicates, and aren't tested. Current model is good for
experimentation and development but is bad idea for deployment.

We want to make a new model, which suites deployment & distribution.

For more info, Our project's main site:
http://en.opensuse.org/Contrib

--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"