Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Integrating packages into Factory
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 20:54:27 +0200
On Tuesday 29 July 2008 20:16:08 Archie Cobbs wrote:
On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 12:35 PM, Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx> wrote:
It is also the concept that we allow builds of the same package, for
example to change some configuration or to use newer/incompatible base
libs. In this case the resulting package is also incompatible.

I think the worth of doing this is debatable. I would rather have a
system where "alternative" builds of the same project had different
names, or something like that.

Here is my point of view as a user: I know for example there are a
zillion ways to configure asterisk. But I usually just want the
"standard" version of it. I don't want to be forced to choose among a
bunch of them.

Not allowing clone builds would mean

* Not allowing KDE 4.0 and KDE 4.1 Beta/RC builds for example
* Not allowing offering packages with bugfixes, which needs testing before
submission.
* Not allowing test builds with changes of below packages (libs, compiler,
..)

Enforcing a rename would not be praticable, time consuming and you would be
able to test in the same setup. In short it would reduce the value of OBS a
lot.

When you say merge all home: projects blindly, it is obvious from my POV
that we will either get daily attacks because it is so easy to infect
plenty of systems or we need to tell everbody that never ever you should
add this repo. So it becomes pointless from my POV.

Just to be clear, I did NOT say we should include home:user projects.
Only the "official" projects such as Apache and network:telephony,
etc.

The home:user projects live on "level 3" trust (basically not much)
and I agree that including them would mean basically you can't trust
anything.

Okay, but it is not much different in none-home: projects. Of course we can
enforce more rules and reviews, but we would need to limit the access to them
a lot. I do not like this idea. Simply think about KDE:*Desktop project (where
only core developers of KDE have access) and KDE:Community (where basically
everbody can get access). Both have valid use cases and we as the openSUSE
project should not decide what a user wants add to his system.

However, there will be a feature in 11.1 in OBS what you will hopefully like,
the support of nu file. With these files you can add and remove multiple repos
at once to YaST/zypper. The client will handle it as one repo.
And everybody can create the list of repos he like in these files without
the need to double builds and server space because of it :)

anyway, all this is not really new stuff and does not help to decide how
Factory should look alike :)