Re: [opensuse-buildservice] openSUSE:Tools:Devel
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 15:52:09 +0200
Am Freitag 25 Juli 2008 15:14:30 schrieb Martin Mohring:
Dirk Stöcker wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008, Susanne Oberhauser wrote:
Martin Mohring, one of our busy contributors and testers of
openSUSE:Tools pointed out that he had created an openSUSE:Tools:Devel
project on his build server because he had noticed that quite a few
people use openSUSE:Tools:UNSTABLE and he doesn't want to break them
while they are using more extensive testing.

As I like three staged integration environments (one for Development,
one for Testing and one for Release), and as openSUSE:Tools:UNSTABLE
actually is that Testing environment for many, I've added a devel
stage:

https://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=openSUSE%3ATools%3ADevel

So now we have

openSUSE:Tools
the currently recommended, released version

openSUSE:Tools:UNSTABLE
the upcoming release, an ongoing beta version

openSUSE:Tools:Devel
very current packages, svn snapshots, this may break at any
time, only use this if you are actively participating in
development and alpha testing

Couldn't that be solved by a more general approach? Implement a
delay-support in the obs.

Have only openSUSE:Tools:UNSTABLE, but do not release any package to
the download system until
- at least xxx days have passed,
- no repository changes happened for that package
- and building did not fail in the xxx days (much like the Debian
system).
The development and alpha testers can use API access to get the files.

Add an "I'm sure" button to release singular packages earlier.

Would save lots of harddisk space.

Ciao

The Intention of openSUSE:Tools:Devel is really that of a more
development branch. There are linked packages to contributed Factory
packages, which may break at any time for example (and did). And I try
out now actively newer versions of either new packages to be put inside
or new features like putting hermes into the obs-server package.

Hm, it is hard to see the difference of :Devel and :UNSTABLE IMHO.

Maybe :UNSTABLE should be renamed to :Testing ?

It is like released, a branch and the main trunc. But since we link to
factory sources also, it can break at any time.

I have noticed that already quite some people do use :Unstable in there
local OBS. I do not want to disturb there circles.

As for the Harddisk space: I could switch off "publish" of the packages
if that is requested.

not necessary.

have a nice weekend
adrian