Re: [opensuse-buildservice] osc submitreq tries to send a submission to the wrong project
  • From: Susanne Oberhauser <froh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 12:57:55 +0200
Peter Poeml <poeml@xxxxxxx> writes:

This is clearly not how we designed this attribute. It were meant as
THE primary place where development takes place. A place of which,
by definition, there can only be one.

Now, I see it can be desirable for users to have a defined path
where changes are moved from A to B to C and then to Factory. For
instance, it might be desirable that changes always first go to
foo:KAPUTT first, then to foo:UNSTABLE, foo:STABLE, then to
openSUSE:Factory.

However, I consider it misuse of the devel project attribute to use
it to define this path (Albeit a good idea ;). This is because it
defeats the purpose of defining the place where changes shall go
_first_. That's what it meant for, and it's actually (more)
important to have an attribute for this, because its (original)
purpose is to avoid submissions to some other place in the path.

So all submissions by default should go right to the root project
instead of bubbling up from leaves to branches to the trunk?

Maybe the 'Good default' depends on the timing in the development
cycle: Submissions always go to the maintainer first, right?

During alpha, the maintainer then passes the fix on right into
factory. During early betas, they go into the subsystem instead, (so
it gets review from the subsystem owner who then submits to factory)
and maybe sometimes it even makes sense to have three stages for large
subsystems with components, when it late betas approach.

I have tried to understand from
http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service/Concepts/Submit_Request how the
overall development process shall look like and I wonder where else I
should look?

S.

--
Susanne Oberhauser +49-911-74053-574 SUSE -- a Novell Business
OPS Engineering Maxfeldstraße 5