Re: [opensuse-buildservice] _link or _aggregate with regular build
  • From: "Archie Cobbs" <archie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 10:53:08 -0500
On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 9:33 AM, Dirk Stöcker <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008, Archie Cobbs wrote:

The question is: why not change OBS to allow a package to have a spec
file and _aggregate at the same time?

Because it violates the design of packages and brings no benefit?

I'm not sure I understand what "design of packages" means.. is this
what you mean: "each package in OBS should build (or link, or
aggregate) exactly one RPM (plus sub-packages)" ?

If so, then why is there an <aggregatelist> tag which accepts multiple
<aggregate> tags?

In any case, (here repeating myself) it would be nice if someone would
document on the wiki "best practices" or "OBS design principles" or
something like that. I would do it myself but I haven't yet figured
them out (hence my annoying questions :-)

Regarding the benefit of doing supporting spec + _aggregate, here's
the benefit I see:

1. You are building RPM A.
2. RPM A BuildRequires: B, C, D and Requires: B, C, D.
3. No other package in your project requires B, C, or D.
4. You have decided (for whatever reason (separate discussion*)) to
aggregate B, C, and D

In this situation, it seems more logical to aggregate B, C, and D all
at once, using an _aggregate file in package A (therefore better
encapuslating the dependencies), rather than creating three new
packages B, C, and D each with their own _aggregate file.

Thanks,
-Archie

* I would also like to have this discussion of _aggregate vs. linking
repositories.. see previous forwarded email:
http://lists.opensuse.org/archive/opensuse-buildservice/2008-07/msg00055.html

--
Archie L. Cobbs