[opensuse-buildservice] Re: [opensuse-ppc] ppc
  • From: Peter Czanik <pczanik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 20:17:49 +0200
Larry Stotler írta:
On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 7:56 AM, Peter Czanik <pczanik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I got now a bit stronger PPC machine standing next to my desk (
http://en.opensuse.org/MPC8610 ). This brought me the idea, that I should

Wow, did they make ANY PPC machines that are easy to install Linux on?
Yes, there are some of them. RS/6000 machines were easy, when I tried them a couple of years ago, and Genesi boards are also no rocket science to install :-) The board mentioned is not yet a production board, but an evaluation board, a work in progress. I use it to check how SuSE works with this CPU, and I'm quite impressed! It is just 1.3Ghz compared to the 1Ghz of Pegasos ( http://www.genesi-usa.com/pegasos.php ), but 1.5x-4x faster, depending on application, while using less than 2/3 of electricity. For example building the same kernel takes about 1/3 the time. It has an unaccelerated framebuffer in the SoC, and it can still play some of the 720p HD movies!
Bye,
CzP